Saturday, January 31, 2015

February Calendar and Artful Journeys week 5

I have a love hate relationship with Valentine's day.  I really do.  Namely because, after 23+ years of marriage, if I want a card or present, I've gotta buy it for myself...not that that's a huge deal, because then I know I'll always get just what I want, but still, a surprise would be nice...ya know?

But I love it because of all the pink and red thrown around everywhere!  And seriously, who doesn't like hearts?  And chocolate? And lace?  And chococlate?  And bows?  And cute little cupids?  And chocolate?  And flowers?  Did I mention chocolate?  OH!  And those tacky little conversation hearts that seemed to taste like heaven and medicine all at the same time?  Yeah...what's not to love about Valentine's day?

So, to honor the day and it's awesome gifts to us, our group came up with the plan to do our monthly calendars in reds/pinks and white!  Wait!  Red?  Some of you may have "heard" me mention on more than one occasion that I have a REALLY hard time using red....in my art...gimme red yarn, and I can knit up a kick-ass scarf, or a bad-ass pair of socks...but paint?  On paper?  Red????????  Well, last week I got myself some red in a tube (Liquitex Basics Cadmium Red Deep Hue)  and spent the next two days glaring at the tube...it was just sitting there, mocking me...laughing at me...daring me to put some down on the pages of my journal.  Well, I did...and.....


I LOVED IT!!!!!  Inspired by my success, I turned the page and got busy!  No, not just busy....BUSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






Oh, yeah....I had a really good time with this one...

Liquitex Basics in Quin Magenta, Cadmium Red Deep Hue, Medium Magenta and Titanium White, a brayer, punchinella, graph paper, book paper, alpha stickers, date stamp, glue stick, heart punch and lots of scraps.

I laid all the scraps down and glued them in then applied the paints using my brayer....once it was all dry, I attacked it with the punchinella and more paint, plus a make up sponge....the little moon faced dude is a freebie from the amazing Terri Kahrs over at Pringle Hill Studios, and punched out 28 hearts from my graph paper...honestly, the whole thing, minus drying time took about 2 hours, but most of that was due to the gluing and arranging of the hearts.



enjoy and happy arting!!!  Don't forget to check out the cool spreads done by Betty, Lynn and Tamie!

2 comments:

  1. A very fun post Melody. I love the red you used and all the hearts.
    Your art just keeps getting better and better! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's great to see red! I just love everything about this spread!

    ReplyDelete