Saturday, August 15, 2015

Week 33 - Who's "Bad"?

Oh, man, let me tell you what....this has been a hella crazy week artistically speaking!  Altered playing cards, journal spreads and challenges, and of course, this week's prompt...all have seen some work on the "studio table" (insert "dining room table" and you'll have an accurate description of my "studio".  I don't really mind having to work in the dining room until a certain spouse, or children start pestering me about feeding them...then it's kinda a pain in the ass.  Can't lock them out of the dining room....sigh, but, sometimes I get lucky, and in just over a week, the kids will be going back to school and the house will be mine alone during the day!  Can you say "happy dance"?

So, anyways, back to the prompt for this week...."Bad Poetry". Let's get to it, shall we?

So I started with these supplies:


Yup...that was it...minus the paper, glue stick and gesso.  The thing that took me the longest for this spread, was finding the words to use for my "bad poetry".  I've recently been dismantling magazines, cutting out images and words for using in my art journal, and even my art for swaps and to sell, and so I have a small bucket that I'm keeping words, phrases and more in...so I went to digging in it to create some "bad poetry"

I started by creating my background.  Artist's Loft Turquoise and Liquitex Basics Titanium White, laid down over various papers & gesso.  I then grabbed a few stencils and still using the same two colors, did a little work with those.  I got turned on to the restricted color palette work by a challenge we did earlier this past week, and really fell in love with it, and knew it would be something I would be doing again.

Left page

Right page

Once the background was done and drying, I started looking for something to "write" my "bad poetry" on...and found this cute little folder/envelope that was made for me by my dear friend, Lynn.  I glued down my w


ords and called it good.  But upon further thought, I had decided it needed something more...it just looked unfinished.  Another friend agreed, and I went to work with a Neocolor ii, and my Tim Holtz mini distress pad in black soot...I outlined the words and went around the edges of the spread with the Neocolor, then edged the pages again with my mini pad.  I put down some washi tape, too, just for some added interest, and called it a night.

The folder with the poetry.

The entire spread.

A close-up of one of the pages showing the detail and how great it turned out.  


I have to say I was very pleased with how this spread turned out, even though I'm not sure  my "poetry" was worth a damn, lol.

In other artistic pursuits from this week I got busy creating some altered playing cards...Still working on them, but they sure are fun, and I really like the ones I've gotten done so far.  Here's a shot of them before I started the final stages:


And here are some of the ones I've completed so far:






And last, but not least, here's the spread I did for the limited palette challenge on Artful Journeys...the challenge was to create a spread using black and white...it was great!



And there you have it!  My creative endeavors since my last post...thanks for stopping by!

Later, y'all!!!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic spread this week. Working with a limited color palette can be challenging but so often, in a very good way -- like the greatness you have created these last couple of week. Job well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an inspiring post Melody! Every item is wonderfully fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathryn! I have had a lot of fun with it

      Delete